(1) The Cyber Appellate Tribunal shall consist of a Chairperson and such number of other Members, as the Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint
Provided that the person appointed as the Presiding Officer of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal under the provisions of this Act immediately before the commencement of the Information Technology (Amendment) Act 2008 shall be deemed to have been appointed as the Chairperson of the said Cyber Appellate Tribunal under the provisions of this Act as amended by the Information Technology (Amendment) Act, 2008.
(2) The selection of Chairperson and Members of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal shall be made by the Central Government in consultation with the Chief Justice of India.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this Act-
(a) the jurisdiction, powers and authority of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal may be exercised by the Benches thereof
(b) a Bench may be constituted by the Chairperson of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal with one or two members of such Tribunal as the Chairperson may deem fit.
(c) the Benches of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal shall sit at New Delhi and at such other places as the Central Government may, in consultation with the Chairperson of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify.
(d) the Central Government shall, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify the areas in relation to which each Bench of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal may exercise its jurisdiction.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-section (3), the Chairperson of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal may transfer a Member of such Tribunal from one Bench to another Bench
(5) If at any stage of the hearing of any case or matter, it appears to the Chairperson or a Member of the Cyber Appellate Tribunal that the case or matter is of such a nature that it ought to be heard by a Bench consisting of more Members, the case or matter may be transferred by the Chairperson to such Bench as the Chairperson may deem fit.
Cyber Consultant says
CAT/PRESS RELEASE/NO.1/2015 DATED : 01.04.2015
Dr.S.S.Chahar, assumes charge as Member (Judicial),
Cyber Appellate Tribunal, New Delhi
Dr.S.S.Chahar, an officer of Indian Legal Services, formerly Secretary to the Government of India and Member Secretary, Law Commission of India has assumed charge of the post of Member (Judicial), Cyber Appellate Tribunal, Department of Electronics & Information Technology, New Delhi on April, 1st 2015. His appointment has been made under Section 49(1) of the Information Technology Act, 2000 vide Department of Electronics & Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology Notification No. 2(17)/2013-Pers.1 (Part) dated 01.04.2015.